Rita Klachkin, ATR-BC, LPC, LCAT, ACS, ATCS, DRCC, HLM has a Masters Degree in art therapy from the College of New Rochelle, and an Educational Specialist degree in Mental Health Counseling from Seton Hall University. She also has post graduate training in trauma from the Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy in New York, and has been trained in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, (DBT) and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. She has 20+ years of experience working with children, teens, adults and seniors in agency work, consulting and in her private practice. Her experience extends from clients facing medical illness, to those facing trauma and loss, to life changes, stressors and depression. Rita has also been active as a volunteer in the local state and national art therapy organizations, holding titles such as President of NJATA, and a member of the AATA Ethics and Scholarship Committees. Rita is an Honorary Life Member of the New Jersey Art Therapy Association.
NJ LPC License #37PC00424400
NY LCAT license: #001104
ATR-BC # 02-063
Rita’s public, corporate, and professional presentations Include:
- Poster Presentation – Art Therapy with the Alzheimer’s and Dementia Population, New Jersey Art Therapy Association Spring, 2002 Conference at Caldwell College
- Art Therapy for Patients with Spinal Chord Injury, in conjunction with the Friends Health Connection, New Brunswick, NJ and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC at the Kessler Institute, West Orange, NJ, May, 2005
- Creative Visits to the Nursing Home, Seniors Club, YMHA of Northern New Jersey, co-presented with Anna Kirshblum, LCSW. – April, 2007.
- NJ Partners – On Senior Programs, May, 2007 Essex County Board of Senior Citizens – On Senior Mental Health Issues, co-presented with Laura Otchy, LPC,
- New Jersey Art Therapy Association – State Wide Annual Conference, Ethics and Display of Client Artwork, June, 2007
- Pre-Conference Ethics Course, New Jersey Art Therapy Association, Confidentiality. Presented on HIPAA and working with other helping professionals for art therapists, June, 2007.
- Creative Transformation: Reframing destruction as a healing process in art therapy, State wide conference, New Jersey Art Therapy Association, April, 2008 Co-presented with Laura Loumeau May, ATR-BC,LPC and Susan Dannemiller, ATR-BC, LPC. .
- Deconstruction, Destruction and Creative Transformation, the 39th Annual Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, Cleveland, OH. Pre-Conference course co-presented with Laura Loumau May, LPC, ATR-BC, November, 2008, also did a paper presentation on the same topic during the conference.
- Art Therapy and working with other helping professions, as a part of a pre-conference course on ethics at the joint conference of the New Jersey Art Therapy Association and Caldwell College, April, 2009.
- Creativity and Destruction: Healing transformation, co-presented with Laura Loumeau May, ATR-BC, LPC and Susan Dannemiller, ATR-BC, LPC. Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, Sacramento, CA, Nov. 2010. Also the same year at the Expressive Therapies Summit, New York, NY.
- The Art of the Job Search, at the conference “The Art and Science of Art Therapy: 10th Anniversary Conference” at Caldwell College, Caldwell, NJ, April, 2011 co-presented with Andrea Garrido, M.Ed.
- Use of Masks and Role Play with Children on the Autism Spectrum, with Brooke Campbell, RDT-BC, LCAT, NJATA Membership Meeting, Oct. 2011.
- The Importance of Using Creative Arts Therapy with Children Facing Domestic Violence, Somerset County Commission on Child Abuse and Missing Children, and Friends of Somerset County Youth., Representative of Creative Heartwork, Inc. (part of a panel presentation), April, 2013.
- What is Art Therapy? Nurses/Caregivers Coalition, University Hospital, Newark, NJ (representative of Creative Heartwork, Inc.), April, 2012
- Stress Relief, Nurses/Caregivers Coalition, University Hospital, Newark, NJ, (representative for Creative Heartwork, Inc.), April, 2013.
- NJATA Disaster Task Force Presentation, “Jersey Coast Creates” Hurricane Sandy Art Therapy Relief Programs, NJATA membership meeting, co-presented with Annette Vaccaro, ATR-BC, LCSW, NCPsyA, Laura Greenstone,ATR-BC, LPC and Pamela Ullmann, ATR-BC, CCLS, LCAT, Oct., 2013.
- Do You Really Want Me? Art Therapy with a Child with Reactive Attachment Disorder, Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, Minneapolis, MN. July, 2015.
- Accountability in Work and Life, at Masco, on behalf of the Compsych Corp. Saddle Brook, NJ. April, 2016.
- Co-presented a half day workshop on an Art Therapy Approach to Psychological First Aid with Laura Greenstone, LPC, ATR-BC and Annette Vaccaro, LCSW, NcPsyA, ATR-BC, ACS, ATCS at the Conference of the American Art Therapy Association, Baltimore, MD. July, 2016.
Professional Organization Memberships
Memberships Professional Member – American Art Therapy Association, New Jersey Art Therapy Assoc. (NJATA)
Member – American Counseling Association
Juried Member – Studio Montclair, Artist’s Cooperative Member,
Association for Creativity in Counseling.
Former Board Member, President, President-Elect, Membership Chair, NJATA
Volunteer Co-Chair, NJATA Hurricane Sandy Disaster Task Force
Committee Member, American Art Therapy Association, Scholarship and Ethics Committees
Professional member of EMDRIA, the international EMDR associaton